Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Orientation


Today we had orientation with our Internship Coordinator here in OKC. It was really nice to be able to understand more about there system and what types of calls they run here. VERY DIFFERENT from Rexburg. They average 250 calls a day here in Oklahoma City. I will be working 4, 12 hour shifts a week. My shift is Friday through Monday 8:30am -8:30 pm. I am excited to work weekends because hopefully they will be busier. I should be running about 12 calls a shift!!! The most calls I have ever had was 8 in a 14.5 hour period and I was soooooo tired after. I am also taking 8 online credits on top of this internship, so I will be a busy lady. I got my preceptors name but I don't meet him until I start on Friday. I am actually excited that I got a male because girl paramedics are known to be a little on the yotchy side. I hope and pray that I have an amazing preceptor because that will make all of the difference. They run about 20% trauma calls and 80% medical calls. Hopefully I will get some cool trauma calls though.


It is definitely different living with girls again. It really makes me miss John but I am trying to stay positive and make the most of the situation. I am really mad because I found out that the pool here at our complex is going to be drained for the season!!! I am soooooo mad. It is still like 100 degrees here with the humidity. I am pretty nervous to start so say a little prayer for me. I have started a countdown in sticky notes on my wall of the shifts until I get to go home. After 40, 12 hour shifts, John will hop on a plane and come get me :) We set up skype last night and it is really amazing how much of a difference it makes seeing someone while you are talking to them. I have a feeling we will skype everyday!!! I will post pics of my apartment tomorrow. By the way it is AWESOME!!!

4 comments:

  1. this will be a great blog! I am excited to hear about all your adventures, and what a major BUMMER about the POOL!!! boo! PS you should put a countdown on your blog too so we can keep track, and you should put a clock so for those of us out of MST can know what TIME it is for you! :) We love you, and know you'll do great and we'll install our SKYPE again too! should be fuN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily I'm so sad that you're gone! We didn't even get to say goodbye to you! Be safe and hurry back. If you aren't back by the time Paxton is born you are going to be in big trouble! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Cool trauma calls"?! You paramedics are crazy! That makes me mad about your pool, too!!! That's not fair. Thinking about ya. Love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your mom forwarded me the link to this blog, Emily. It's always fun reading about your adventures. Sounds like you'll stay plenty busy, which will make your time away from John go by faster. You're a strong person!
    -Claire

    ReplyDelete