Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Trauma Trauma Trauma

I only did three shifts this last week instead of four because I haven't been feeling well. That is life I guess.(especially as a diabetic) I am still a day ahead of everyone else though because I worked an overtime shift a couple weeks back. I also have 2 overtime shifts hopefully next week so that I can be done a day before John gets here instead of the morning of.

My calls were pretty good though. I had an auto-ped (automobile vs. pedestrian) Drew said this was one of his top three. A lady was crossing the street (probably j-walking) when she was struck by an oncoming car. While she was still flying in the air, a truck hit her and then ran her over. When we got to her she was lying on the pavement but was talking to us and alert. The first thing I noticed was her leg was was literally split open. I am talking I could see the muscle people. She also had a huge tire mark across her chest that looked like a recent skin graft. We noticed that she had blood on her bottom. So, my job was to look what orifice it was coming from. It was coming from her vagina and I mean a lot was coming. Her legs were bowed and we were thinking broken pelvis. That was obviously later confirmed at the hospital. I remember kneeling next to her trying to get her on the board and I looked around and was looking for Drew. Well to my surprise there he was standing back with the Field Supervisor just watching me run this call! When we got her in the back, Drew handed me the IO needle drill. (Needle that you drill into the bone when you can't get an IV) There I was holding this ready to go when drew was like wait, let me try an IV first. He tried and missed and then we were like ,"ya drilling her leg won't work her pelvis is broken" :( I have never been that close to drilling someone :( She never got stablilized once we got to the hospital and died later that night.

Another call was a 2 year old pediatric. She had a febrile seizure. (Note to parents: DO NOT put your kids in a cold bath when they have a fever. Rapid temp change will cause them to seize) I knew that we needed an IV ASAP. Drew looked and then said, "do you want to do it?" I was like heck yes. He handed me the needle and looked me straight in the eye and said, "you can't miss." He has never said that to me before with that much authority. For some reason I feel like I work better when I am under stress. Who would have thought? Well I got the IV and she started crying. I was happy because a crying baby means a healthy baby.

We of course had a lot of BS calls aka as bull crap calls, but that is EMS for you. I did however get to give a diabetic D50. Surprisingly I have never had the opportunity to do that before. D50 is simply sugar that you put through an IV. It works faster than anything else.

On a home front note, My sister in-law Hailey is having her baby shower this weekend. I am sad I can't be there, but I just want her to know how much I love her and wish that I could be. Her and her husband Kory are having a little boy in November named Paxton. All I have to say is that baby better not come early, because I want to be home when he does :) Love you Hailey!

So, this is obviously a post full of random thoughts. I will leave you with something from my husband. Hopefully he won't kill me for telling you this. You know those old spice commercials on TV about being a man's man? Well, John is obsessed with them. He will watch them on you tube and just giggle. If you haven't met John he is a man's man. NOTHING about that guy is girly or metro sexual! Well, the other night at work I get a text from him saying he has bad news. I of course was freaking out. His next text simply said this. "I found out I am not a man's man. I bought old spice deodorant and I broke out in a rash." AHAHAHAHA I laughed for 10 minutes. I sure miss him. Only 25 more days :)

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are having an exciting time! I love reading your blog! I can't believe that you can handle all of that action. I definatly couldn't. I'm so sad that you are missing my shower! You should see me-- I'm HUGE! I can't wait until you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Emily, that was...alot of information. And I learned how to spell orifice. I could not do all of that. YOU ARE THE WOMAN.

    I didn't know you were sick; I feel so bad. I am glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bone drilling? Yuk! Tell John he's funny!!!!

    Love ya~
    Mom

    ReplyDelete