Monday, October 25, 2010

Roll With the Punches

Well like I promised, I am trying to post more often. I had a very interesting weekend. Wednesday, I worked with Drew. Thursday, Drew didn't have a partner so I got put on another truck and only had 2 calls all night. It was also annoying because the chair I sit in didn't have an arm rest!! AHHH the little things that annoy me. Also, the two guys I worked with said a total of 5 words to each other and me the ENTIRE night. Anyone who knows me knows that is painful for me. Friday night Drew came and so did his EMT partner Sara. Finally, back to normal. OH WAS I WRONG. While we were checking our truck and our equipment, I told Drew that I wanted a psych patient tonight. I might have spoken to soon. Our first call was for "man down" this is dispatches way of telling us they have no clue what the call is for. These are always interesting calls because you never know what you are going to get. We arrive on scene and find a man kicking, screaming and spitting on the floor of his room. He is handcuffed and police are just sitting there watching him. Apparently this man is telling everyone that he is possessed. HELLO SCARY!!! With the help of 3 police officers and a crew of firefighters, we get this man on the cot. As the police are securing him to the cot with handcuffs, Sara was trying to hold his arm down. Well, this idiot grabs her wrist and twists it as hard as he could. Guess what that idiot BROKE HER ARM!!! I was soooooooo mad. I had to start an IV on him in the back of the ambulance and I was terrified he was going to try and kill me. He was fine. I gave him some anti psychotic medication and he calmed right down. Well, Sara went home and so now Drew was left without a partner.
Drew dropped me off at one of the hospitals so that I could finish out my shift with another crew. When we pulled up to the hospital, he said that he felt like he was dropping me off at school or something. I grabbed my backpack and the lunch pale I bring and said, "Thanks Dad," as he drove away. He tells everyone that I am like his daughter, mostly because he has to clean up after me. One time, I got blood ALL over my pants and there he was on the floor wiping it off for me. He was like "geez does your husband have to clean up after you like this?" HAHAHA I laughed so hard because, well only John and I know if that's true (wink wink) The crew I went to ride with had an EMT-basic student on their truck so there were 4 people on the truck. We like to call that a "clown truck" here. We had a few good calls. I ran them all and I really liked the medic that I worked with that night. He had some awesome stories, but he has been doing this along time. My last night was Saturday. Drew had the night off but I didn't want to take the night off so I asked this medic if I could ride with her. We only had 2 calls the whole night! This time however, we watched CSI and movies on her laptop and had a grand ol' time. She came up and asked me what my first name was because all she knew was princess and she couldn't put that on the report! haha apparently that is now my name for EVERYONE.

I am working an overtime shift tomorrow because I need to make up a shift from when I was sick. I can't believe that I have less than 3 weeks left!! AHHH! I was talking to my sister yesterday and she said it had gone by fast and then turned around and said no it seems like you have been there forever! Thanks Aub! It seems to be going by fast for me and John said he is getting used to being alone :( All we talk about is what it will be like when we see each other at the airport. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! We are looking forward to the holidays and spending time with family. I am sad that I won't see either of my brother's anytime soon but hopefully after I graduate in July, John and I will head off to see the Harris' in HAWAII!!!! :) g2g homework awaits me! Oh ya, I started another class today! Maybe that was a bad idea!

-Love Princess (refer to previous posts if you don't understand)

5 comments:

  1. I am loving all these blog posts!! And I can't believe that guy BROKE her arm!!! That is SCARY! AND we are sad we won't see you guys for any of the holidays either! :( But COME on down, we just found out we got into the student housing so we will be in a 2 bedroom for sure, plenty of room for guests!! :) MISS YOU! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post! That arm breaking incident disturbs me, though!

    Love ya~
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI

    Love your posts!! Your mom gave me your blog site. I've been in the police business for 30 years and I know how exciting your work can be.
    Hugs and be careful out there!!

    2nd Cousin
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Emily. Okay, I want updates! Your blog is so interesting to read. I certainly don't have that kind of excitement in my life on a daily basis, so write some more and keep us in the loop! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete